How does a typical exam work?
This is a list of all the things I look at during a myofunctional therapy examination:
- Tonsils and adenoids
- Mouth breathing vs. nasal breathing
- Where the tongue rests in the mouth
- Orthodontic treatment
- Speech as it relates to tongue tie
- Jaw pain and dysfunction
- Head, neck, and facial pain
- Snoring and sleep apnea
- Facial structure and growth
- Habits such as thumb and finger sucking
I teach patients exercises that relate to tongue placement, breathing, speaking, chewing and swallowing.
I want the tongue to rest completely in the roof of the mouth and the lips to stay closed. When these two simple things happen, troublesome symptoms disappear and the big picture problems around braces, speech, jaw pain and sleep apnea become much easier to address.